Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Lecture About Trash and Other Life-Changing Topics….

Greetings from Herrnhut! I hope that this note finds you enjoying the beginnings of summer, no matter how crazy your weather might be (which ours has been, but that’s a conversation better had over a cup of coffee rather than through a note, don’t you think? So, when can I expect you?).

Let’s jump in…

It’s about the 5th day of our New Staff Training process (and even the process itself is new – more on that later), and I smile as I watch one of our new staff members, Ruth, don a hat, frumpy shirt and belt to transform herself into “Trashy”, a fun-loving character that will tell us about the somewhat confusing and complicated German trash system (picture on the right: Ruth doing her "Trashy" imitation). Ruth is British, and her humor is contagious as she holds a tea bag and plastic bottle in front of her and expounds on the virtues and consequences of separating our trash into the correct receptacle.

And why, may you ask, is that at all relevant to the future of nations? Very good question, actually..thanks for asking. I look at this young woman, with all her humor and all her creativity, all her desires for Jesus and passion for the arts and people, and I see a beginning. Within what God has given her in the way of talents, giftings, personality, lie answers – answers for people who don’t have hope, people who are searching, people who are hungry for something more.

But over the last year as I’ve taken on this role in our Community of Staff Development, I’ve become more aware that all our Staff will go farther and will be stronger here and in the nations if they start off at a higher place. If they can come in with a stronger understanding of their role, of expectations for being a part of this Community, of how they can fit into the bigger picture, won’t they grow deeper roots, grow stronger lives and produce more lasting fruit? And that for me, and I know for you, is my heart’s cry – may these Staff members be strong so that the fruit that comes from their lives in the nations will have a lasting impact. (Picture on the left: Group photo of the new Staff during the intake process. Along the back are the members of the Staff Development team, l-r: Martin, Grazyna, me and Johanna. Great group!)

Besides, who wants to miss out on a “Trashy” experience?

And that is a brief glimpse of what the last months have been for me here – a prayerful, concentrated and focused effort, along with my great team, to create some processes we’ve not had before at this location. God has blessed this Base with many new staff – and they just keep coming! – but we’ve not yet had the time or resources to create a way for these staff to come into this environment in a more concentrated way. God put these things on my and my team’s heart some time ago, and we were able to see that desire realized in the middle of May. So fun! And we hope the intake process will be refined and repeated for many years to come.

Immediately following, we began an All Base time where we as an entire Herrnhut community put a stop to our normal activities and took the time to come together for teaching and refining. We’re in the middle of that time now, and though it’s busy and lots of work, it’s well worth it. We have a couple who have been in YWAM for 34 years as well as a prayer team from a church in Tacoma who have come to serve us for this time, and I’m already seeing roots being strengthened, including my own. Again, my hope and prayer is that the foundations of this very young community can be strengthened and kept strong so we can continue to have positive and impacting fruit come from our lives.

DTS

Also in the midst of these Base training times, we have a DTS running, and what a great group of students! We have a school of 24, and just recently they have chosen their international Outreach locations. As always, I so enjoy having a school running in this community because it increases our outward focus and brings forward again why we do what we do – the desire for changed lives. (Picture at left: Some of our Staff and a Student during a recent Nations night where we celebrate the different nations in our Community for the DTS)

In future notes: More about the All Base time, the DTS, and our Staff Outreach to Vienna!

So, it’s time that I leave you for now – thank you for taking one of your most valuable resources (time) and sharing it with me. I appreciate the prayer, support and encouragement you give, and realize again the intricacies of how God brings us together – without each other, very little would be possible in changing the world around us.

As I go, I’ll leave a few prayer requests, but please keep in mind that I’d like to hear from you if there are things I can pray for. We may not be able to meet for coffee, but our prayers have very long arms.

Ø All Base Training time: We are in the middle with one week left to go, and my prayer is that God will go deep in our lives through all we’re learning and having prayed over us. And, as a result, we will have a renewed and fresh vision to impact our community and the nations around us.
Ø My Staff Development team: I have really enjoyed working the team I’m working with now (there are 3 others besides me), but for great reasons, two of my team members are stepping way. Yikes! If we are to continue to serve this community and the nations, two of us are not enough (we have about 70 staff as well as varying numbers of students). We need for God to bring the right people with the right heart to join us.
Ø The DTS: They are preparing for Outreach to 5 countries. Pray that they prepare well, and that God brings in all the finances for the Staff and Students to go!
Ø Me, personally: This has been an interesting season – increased responsibility, but for some reason, no extra time! I am doing overall well, but am still working through the tension of carrying all God has called me to right now (which I really enjoy) and not pushing too hard. I need wisdom, just like each of us!

Ok, I believe that’s it for now, though you know there are always more stories to tell. Drop a note when you can and let me know how you are, and know I appreciate working with you.

Until we type again,

Cory

P.S. Be sure and check out my blog now and then at: http://catchupwithcory.blogspot.com. Sometimes I update that with other news and pictures, and I would welcome a visit!



Here's me celebrating my country on the Nations night, and yes, I am wearing American flag earrings!

No comments: